Alexander De Bleeckere
- +32 2 426 14 14
Alexander focuses on intellectual property matters, with a particular specialisation in copyright and related rights as well as on all aspects of media, entertainment and arts law.
He assists clients in a wide variety of sectors including product designers, fashion designers, retailers, media companies, software and games developers, composers, artists, labels, photographers, writers, etc.
Alexander has developed a profound expertise in libel, slander and defamation cases. He also regularly advises, amongst other things, on matters relating to image rights and broadcasting rights.
He is a member of the Belgian Copyright Association, as part of the International Literary and Artistic Association (‘ALAI’), and of the International Association of Entertainment Lawyers (‘IAEL’).
- Master of Laws (University of Ghent)
- Master in Intellectual Property Rights (Hogeschool Universiteit Brussel)
- Alexander is fluent in Dutch, French and English
Selection of publications
- “Cookery and rights protection: a recipe for disaster?”, ILO Newsletter: Intellectual Property, 21 February 2011. (With P. Maeyaert)
- “Court rules on criminal liability for embedding copyrighted video”, ILO Newsletter: Intellectual Property, 22 July 2013
- “Parody versus moral integrity right: ECJ to the rescue?”, ILO Newsletter: Intellectual Property, 27 October 2014
- “De vermetele verrijzenis van de vrije meningsuiting”, De Tijd, 10 January 2015
- “Applied Arts under IP Law: the Uncertain Border between Beauty and Usefulness”, national report for ALAI Congress 2016
- “3D-printing onder het Belgisch intellectueel eigendomsrecht”, Computerrecht 5/2017.
- Regelgeving inzake publieke events rond WK-uitzendingen, ALTIUS Blog, 17 May 2018 with (A. Vantyghem, N. Verborgh, D. Buylaert and P. Debaene)
- “Copyright in Belgium”, Lexology, 6 February 2019 (with P. Maeyaert and O. Vrins)
- “EU to examine SABAM’s tariffs for festivals and concerts”, ALTIUS Blog, 30 April 2019
- “In the shadow of the DSM Directive: the new Online Broadcasting and Retransmission Directive”, ALTIUS Blog, 20 June 2019 (with O. Vrins)
What our clients say about us
Alexander was named a “Rising star” by IP Stars, 2021
Alexander was named “Excellent” by Leaders League, 2021