Alexander specialises in domestic and international dispute resolution. He has extensive experience in complex disputes concerning a broad range of issues, including: commercial and contractual matters; liability and insurance; insolvency-related matters; and the enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards. Alexander also has in-depth knowledge of distribution, agency, franchising and brokerage agreements in their respective international contexts.
Alexander provides pre-litigation counsel and conducts negotiations, mediation and litigation before the national courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union. He has been involved in numerous arbitration cases (ICC, CEPANI, NAI, SCC, WIPO and ad hoc), both representing the parties and as an arbitrator.
Alexander regularly publishes and lectures on his areas of practice.
Alexander is a member of the International Bar Association and CEPANI. He is also highly involved in the Belgian Franchise Federation and is a member of the Council of the Brussels Bar (Dutch language section) since 2019.
- MSc International Business (Aston Business School)
- International Exchange Programme (University of Stellenbosch)
- Lic. Juris (KU Leuven – KUL)
- Cand. Juris (University of Namur)
- Alexander is fluent in Dutch, French and English
Selection of publications
- “Kunst en Arbitrage: de Court of arbitration for Art”, in Handboek Kunstrecht, Intersentia 2021
- “Arbitration in Belgium” – Lexology Navigator 2021
- “Enkele hete hangijzers: de overgangsbepaling van de arbitragewet, het gewijsde van de uitspraak over de nietigheidsvordering en de openbare ordetoets bij exequatur”, b-Arbitra 2020/1, p. 184
- “Het Belgische exequatur labyrint: op zoek naar de draad van Ariadne” (noot onder Rb. Brussel (Fr.) 9 december 2016), b-Arbitra, 2018, 73
What our clients say about us
Clients appreciate that Alexander Hansebout is “always available and patient in explaining the difficulties at hand,” and add that “he is a very strategic person.” – Chambers Europe, 2022
Alexander Hansebout was exceptional – calm, confident, knowledgeable and considered. Clear understanding of the issues and the gaps and how best to approach to resolve them.’ – Legal 500, 2022
“Alexander Hansebout is not only an exceptional lawyer, but also an exceptional person. He has extensive knowledge in many areas and very extensive practical experience.” – Legal 500, 2021
Hansebout is “very efficient and has very good legal knowledge.” – Chambers Europe, 2021
Alexander Hansebout attracts praise from clients for being “extremely smart, practical and strategic” in negotiations. – Chambers Europe, 2020