- +32 2 426 14 14
Olivier Vrins mainly deals with trademark, patent, design and copyright litigation. Described as a “highly skilled IP specialist” (Chambers and Partners) and as “one of the best in Europe in the Customs field” (Managing Intellectual Property), Olivier has gained expertise in a broad range of other IPR-related topics. He also specialises in the field of designations of origin and geographical indications, as well as in the protection of the personality rights of public figures, including sportsmen.
Olivier is Legal Advisor and a member of the Geographical Committee of ECTA.
He is also a member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA); the International Wine Law Association (AIDV); the Benelux Trade Mark and Design Association (BMM); the editorial board of the BMM Bulletin; and the Belgian Council for Intellectual Property, consisting of experts in intellectual property law appointed by the Federal Government.
Olivier is a regular speaker at seminars on IPR enforcement and other IPR-related subjects and has been retained by WIPO as an international expert in workshops on IP enforcement.
- LL.M. in Intellectual Property and Unfair Competition (Queen Mary & Westfield College)
- LL.M. in European Law (University of Ghent)
- Erasmus Exchange Programme (University of Paris II)
- Lic. Juris (Université catholique de Louvain – UCL)
- Olivier is fluent in Dutch, English and French
Selection of publications
- Regulation (EU) No 608/2013 of 12 June 2013 Concerning Customs Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights and Repealing Regulation 1383/2003, International Encyclopedia of Law, 2017
- Enforcement of intellectual property rights through border measures: law and practice in the EU, Oxford University Press, 2006 (with M. Schneider), second edition, 2012
- “The EU Policies and Actions in the Fight Against Piracy”, in Prof. P. Torremans and I. Stamatoudi, EU Copyright Law, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2014 & 2020
- “Cross-Border Enforcement of Intellectual Property: The European Union”, in Prof. P. Torremans, Research Handbook on Cross-Border Enforcement of Intellectual Property, Edward Elgar Publishing, 2014
What our clients say about us
A client describes him as an “impressive lawyer who is proactive and incredibly effective,” and adds that “his responsiveness and accuracy in assessing each case is very much appreciated.” – Chambers Europe, 2022
“Olivier Vrins is fast, smart and thorough. He is very accessible too. Everything I want from a modern lawyer”’ – Legal 500, 2022
“Olivier Vrins has a deep expertise and knowledge of the European IP law and practice. His speaking and writing ability makes his support outstanding.” – Legal 500, 2021
“Olivier Vrins is an extremely bright lawyer and friendly personality, which explains his repeated success with clients. A first-class IP lawyer who delivers business-oriented advice, he is without doubt one of the most talented IP lawyers in Belgium” – WTR 1000, 2020