- +32 2 426 14 14
Lieven is a renowned expert in the field of real estate and construction. He has a deep knowledge of contract law.
Lieven advises his clients in all aspects of complex real estate transactions, including: the structuring of real estate projects; real estate M&A; sale-and-leaseback transactions; joint ventures; leasing; FIIS (REIT-) structures; (re-)development projects. He has advised on various major transactions in the Belgian market involving large several logistic clusters and hotels; office buildings; commercial properties; court of Justice; large inner-city (re-)developments; and on other real estate niche products (including dark kitchens and mixed-use projects).
Lieven is Member and Assessor of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS). He is member of the Legal Committee of the Belgium-Luxembourg Council for Retail and Shopping Centres (BLSC) as well as of the European Council for Shopping Places (ECSP). Lieven is also a member of the Professional Association of the Real Estate Sector (BVS – UPSI); the Urban Land Institute (ULI); the Belgian Association for Construction Law (BVBR – ABDC); and officer at the International Bar Association (IBA). He is a speaker at various seminars and conferences.
Lieven has been the Winner of the ILO Client Choice Award – Real Estate Belgium in 2021, 2015, 2012 and 2011 and the ILO Client Choice Award – Leisure Belgium in 2020.
Lieven’s expertise in real estate has been confirmed consistently in numerous national and international rankings (Chambers Europe, Legal 500, World Leading Experts in Real Estate, PLC Which Lawyer, Who’s Who Legal, Best Lawyers).
- LL.M. (University of Virginia)
- Lic. Juris (KU Leuven – KUL)
- Guberna Vlerick – Director and Board Effectiveness
- Lieven is fluent in Dutch, French, English and German
Selection of publications
- “Construction and projects in Belgium: overview“, Thomson Reuters Practical Law, 2021
- “Commercial real estate in Belgium: overview”, Thomson Reuters Practical Law, 2021
- Pop-Up Leases in the three regions, blog ALTIUS-website
- “The AirBnB business model is at risk: a prior authorisation requirement for short-term property lettings to combat a structural housing shortage is consistent with the EU Services Directive.”, International Bar Association, 8 June 2021
What our clients say about us
“Lieven is an ace real estate lawyer who understands the importance of “commercial” negotiation in order to get the deal done.” – Legal 500, 2022
“Lieven Peeters: very broad, good legal knowledge; knows how to deal easily with complex legal structures; quick mind; very to the point analysis; pragmatic; available at the right time; solution-oriented; and can counter problems with the appropriate ingenuity. A real pleasure and privilege to work with”. – Legal 500, 2021
Lieven Peeters “has definitely got high-level experience.” – Chambers Europe, 2021