Sven Demeulemeester has extensive experience advising corporate clients about the transfer of businesses, outsourcing and co-sourcing projects and employment issues related to the sale or purchase of businesses or parts of businesses.
Sven regularly advises on and co-ordinates the procedure for collective dismissals or closures of companies or their divisions and acts for a wide variety of clients regarding the day-to-day issues concerning individual and collective labour and social security law.
In addition, Sven has extensive experience in sport litigation and arbitration and is recognised by legal directories as a leading practitioner in sports law, which is a topic upon which he regularly speaks and writes.
Sven is a member of the European Employment Lawyers Association, the ‘Vereniging Sociaal Recht’, the ‘Association Internationale des Avocats du Football’, and the International Association of Young Lawyers.
- Special Degree in Employment Law (Free University of Brussels – VUB)
- Erasmus Exchange Programme (University of Paris Nanterre)
- Lic. Juris (University of Ghent)
- Sven is fluent in Dutch, French and English
Selection of publications
- “The Kristofferson ruling: the EFTA targets athlete endorsement deals” , Asser 2018 (with N. Verborgh)
- “ De huidige registratieperiodes in het voetbal vanuit Europeesrechtelijk perspectief”, Sport & Recht 2018
- “The legality of fixed-term employment contracts in European professional football – The Müller case and beyond, Law In Sport, 2016
- “Business Transfers and Employee Rights in Belgium”, in Business Transfers and Employee Rights (J. McMullen ed.), Lexis Nexis, 2013
- “ Sports Justice in Belgium”, in European sports law and policy bulletin 2013 (with W. Lambrecht).
- “Cross-border reorganisations in Belgium” in European Cross-Border Mergers and Reorganisations (J. Vermeylen and I. Vande Velde ed.), OUP, 2012
What our clients say about us
“Sven Demeulemeester is a top-notch lawyer with a pragmatic mindset.” – Legal 500, 2022
“I call Sven Demeulemeester when I have a very urgent problem and I need support from a top-notch lawyer,” declares a client. – Chambers Europe, 2021
“Sven Demeulemeester is a one-of-a-kind lawyer, having an excellent knowledge of his field of law combined with strong business acumen.” – Legal 500, 2020
Clients admire Demeulemeester’s availability, in addition to his “effective and wonderful client service.” Clients also highlight his “clear and result-oriented advice” and note that he is “easily accessible in urgent cases.” – Chambers Europe, 2019