His IP work focuses on complex patent litigation, often involving cross-border issues, parallel trade disputes, and support and advice regarding IP portfolio management. His regulatory work spans the fields of launch and marketing strategies, pricing and reimbursement, tendering, advertising, and lifecycle management.
Kirian graduated at the University of Ghent magna cum laude and acquired international experience through postgraduate studies (LL.M) at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, where he also obtained the Law and Technology Certificate. Kirian is also a member of the Boalt Hall Alumni Association, (Young) EPLAW, Licensing Executives Society, Belgian American Educational Foundation and the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property.
Additionally he regularly speaks at conferences and seminars, is host of ALTIUS’ annual Pharma Law Seminar, and organises ALTIUS’ two-monthly Life Sciences Sessions.
- Master in Law (University of Ghent)
- LL.M. (University of California, Berkeley School of Law)
- Law and Technology Certificate (University of California)
- Kirian is fluent in Dutch, English and French
Selection of publications
- “Evoluties in het octrooirecht – Overzicht van rechtspraak 2018-2022”, [to be published before summer 2022] (with P. de Jong and C. Ronse)
- “Vrijwaring voor uitwinning en intellectuele eigendom” in B. Tilleman & B. Devolder, Weens Koopverdrag, Brugge, Die Keure, 2022, pp. 551-618 (with L. Traest)
- “Pharmaceutical IP and Competition law in Belgium: Overview”, Thomson Reuters, 1 August 2021 (with B. Gielen)
- “Must AstraZeneca supply the EU with sufficient COVID-19 vaccines?”, ILO Healthcare & Life Sciences, 10 February 2021 / Mondaq, 13 April 2021
- “Belgium” in J. Bühling, Patent Protection for Second Medical Uses, The Netherlands, Kluwer, 2020 (with C. Ronse)
- The Pharma Legal Handbook: Belgium, PharmaBoardroom 2020 (with C. Ronse)
- “Evoluties in het octrooirecht – Overzicht van rechtspraak 2014-2018”, TBH-RDC 2018, 747-798 (with P. de Jong and C. Ronse)
What our clients say about us
“The ‘genius’ Kirian Claeyé is a key contact within the team for parallel import/distribution support and IP portfolio management across the life sciences sector.” – Legal500
“If I could, I’d give a 5 star rating to Kirian Claeyé who has proven to be a genius. We are working together a bit more than two years and time after time he solved our issues in a simple and eloquent way. Fast and clear communication and a complete risk analysis of the chosen strategy. For me, Kirian Claeyé has the charisma needed to guide you in each step and makes the legal aspect of our business fun, comprehensible and exciting.” – Legal500
Listed as a “Key Lawyer” in Legal 500 (Intellectual Property and Healthcare & Life Sciences) in 2021 & 2022.
Bronze in IAM Patent 1000 in 2021.
Listed as Rising Star in IP Stars in 2019, 2020 and 2021.
Recommended in Who’s Who Legal (Life Sciences – Patent Litigation) in 2020 and 2021.
Listed as “Rising Life Sciences Star” by Expert Guides, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021