Bart has vast experience across the broad spectrum of insolvency and restructuring proceedings. He regularly assists creditors in protecting their positions and with the execution of their claims. On the other side, Bart has assisted several companies in financial difficulty to restructure their business and avoid insolvency scenarios. Finally, he advises third parties that are interested in taking over assets and staff from businesses in distress.
Further on Bart’s practices encompasses commercial litigation, both in contractual matters and in tort liability with a special focus on administrator liability, both in and outside insolvency scenarios.
Bart is a regular speaker at various conferences and seminars concerning insolvency and restructuring.
He is also a member of AIJA, Etion, INSOL Europe and Co-Chair of INSOL Europe’s Anti-Fraud Forum.
- Special Degree in Economics (KU Leuven – KUL)
- Lic. Juris (KU Leuven – KUL)
- Exchange Programme (University of Granada)
- Bart is fluent in Dutch, French, English and Spanish
Selection of publications
- BELGIUM – MüKo InsO 4th edition, volume 4, Länderberichte (reports), January 2022 (with E. Goldschmidt).
- Effect of EU preventive restructuring directive on Belgian insolvency framework, October 2019
- Will ECJ decision on Belgian insolvency proceedings lead to increased redundancies?, May 2019
- Licence to contract – licence agreements and insolvency law, April 2019
- Effects of bankruptcy on spouses’ personal debts, December 2018
- Relationship between privileged and secured creditors, May 2018
- Administrator liability in bankruptcy framework, November 2017
- Insolvency in franchising relationships, February 2017
- “Belgium: Stricter rules regarding reorganisation proceedings”, Eurofenix – The Journal of INSOL Europe, Country Reports Winter 2015/16, p.40
- “Court supervised restructuring in Belgium”, Financier Worldwide, July 2014
- “Rente en kosten bij het Europees betalingsbevel”, RW 2014, 21, 815. (with Alexander Hansebout)
- “Commentaar op artikelen 51 en 55 WCO”, in M. VANMEENEN (ed.), Wet en Duiding: Becommentarieerd wetboek WCO en Faillissementswet”, Brussel, Larcier, 2015
What our clients say about us
“Bart Heynickx and his teams are strategic and sharp. Bart is a keen thinker and presents solutions and thinks outside the box. No is not an answer for Bart.” – Legal 500, 2022
“Bart Heynickx has excellent in-dept knowledge of Belgian insolvency law, being strategic and proactive.” – Legal 500, 2022
“Bart Heynickx is a brilliant thinker. His strategy is clear and strong. That gives the client every advantage in litigation.” – Legal 500, 2021