Emma Van Caenegem
- +32 2 426 14 14
Emma advises and assists domestic and multinational corporations on all aspects of individual and collective employment law, from “hiring to firing”. This does not only include assistance with the drafting of employment contracts, the termination thereof but also covers (alternative) compensation & benefits related topics, involvement in complex RIF projects but also assistance in case of conflicts with employee representative bodies.
She has a particular expertise in cross border employment situations, posting set-ups and staff supply issues, including interim work and employee lending.
In addition, she assists clients with audits or investigations by the labour and social security inspectorates.
She represents clients in employment and social security related matters before labour courts.
Emma is a regular speaker at seminars and is the author of various publications.
- Special Degree in Employment Law (Free University of Brussels – VUB)
- Master in Law (University of Ghent)
- Emma is fluent in Dutch, French and English
Selection of publications
- “Belgium’s implementation of the EU Directive on the posting of drivers in the road transport sector: What is the impact for employers posting drivers to and from Belgium?”, Lexology 2022
- “The rise of Employers of Record (EOR) on the Belgian labour market: a new opportunity for foreign employers expanding their business in Belgium?”, Lexology 2022
- “A new special social security contribution should discourage companies from excessively using successive daily temporary agency work contracts from 1 January 2023”, Lexology 2022
- Are foreign employers who post workers to Belgium obliged to proceed with a DIMONA obligation: what has the Belgian Supreme Court said (or rather not said)?, Lexology 2022“Posting allowance or cost allowance: an often subtle difference with important consequences, Lexology 2022 (with A. Caporali)
- “Directors with a non-remunerated corporate mandate can now be exempted from the professional card obligation in the Flemish region”, Lexology 2022 (with A. Coopman)
- “Reconciling intra-group posting set-ups with the Belgian employee lending restrictions: a Brussels court decision provides guidance”, Lexology, 2021
- “ECJ partially upholds Belgium’s docker rules”, International Law Office, 2021
- “Posting workers to Belgium: all you need to know”, Lexology, 2021 (with E. Soetens and A. Caporali)
What our clients say about us
Emma was named a “Rising star” by Legal 500, 2021 and 2022.
“Emma Van Caenegem has a deep knowledge of labour legislation, even more importantly about some definite cases of its application in real cases. She has great capabilities to revise the case and suggest different possible scenarios, at the same time providing clear and comprehensive advice.” – Legal 500, 2022
“Senior associate Emma Van Caenegem is one of the best lawyers I have worked with. She is extremely smart, her advice is always straight to the point. She understands business needs extremely well. Emma is one of these lawyers you can rely on completely.” – Legal 500, 2021