Philippe de Jong
- +32 2 426 14 14
Philippe specialises in intellectual property law, with a particular focus on patents, plant variety rights and parallel import issues.
Philippe also has extensive experience in EU and Belgian regulatory matters concerning the agri-food and broader life sciences industries. He regularly lectures at conferences and seminars and has also published articles in various leading legal journals relating to his area of expertise.
Philippe has worked as a consultant for the EU Plant Variety Rights Office and is also an active member of various lawyer and sector organisations, including: the European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW), Euroseeds, the Licensing Executives Society (LES), and the International Association of Breeders of Asexually Reproducing Fruit and Ornamental Varieties (CIOPORA).
- LL.M. Intellectual Property (University College London)
- Erasmus Exchange Programme (University of Lausanne)
- Lic. Juris (University of Antwerp)
- Philippe is fluent in Dutch, English and French
Selection of publications
- Evoluties in het octrooirecht – Overzicht van rechtspraak 2018-2021 (“Patent case law review 2018-2021”) (co-author), TBH 2022, 435
- “Harvested material and the notion of “unauthorized use””, 2022, available through SSRN
- “The Protection of Vines, Grapes and Wine under Plant Variety Rights Law, with a Particular Focus on the EU”, in J. Chaisse, F. Dias Simões, D. Friedmann (Ed.)., Wine Law and Policy: From National Terroirs to a Global Market, Brill | Nijhoff, 2020
- “Agricultural law in Belgium”, in Agricultural Law Global Guide, Thomson Reuters – Practical Law, 2020 (co-author)
- Evoluties in het octrooirecht – Overzicht van rechtspraak 2014-2018 (“Patent case law review 2014-2018”) (co-author), TBH 2018, 747
- “From farm to fork: the regulatory status of non-GMO plant innovations under current EU law”, BSLR 2018, 251 (co-author)
- “The EU regulatory framework for compliance with rules on access and benefit-sharing of genetic resources”, BSLR 2016, 83 (co-author)
What our clients say about us
A client appreciates that Philippe de Jong is “able and willing to go down new, unpaved roads and provides full transparency to his clients at all stages of the proceedings.” – Chambers Europe, 2022
“Philippe de Jong provides an exceptionally high level of service.” – Legal 500, 2022
Philippe de Jong has a broad practice, covering patent infringement, parallel imports and plant variety rights. One client reports: “I am always impressed by his thorough knowledge, which he manages to translate into applications that fit a company.” – Chambers Europe, 2021