Philippe specialises in intellectual property law, with a particular focus on patents, plant variety rights and parallel import issues.
Philippe also has extensive experience in EU and Belgian regulatory matters concerning the agri-food and broader life sciences industries.
He regularly lectures at conferences and seminars and has also published articles in various leading legal journals relating to his area of expertise.
Philippe has worked as a consultant for the EU Plant Variety Rights Office and is also an active member of various lawyer and sector organisations, including: the European Patent Lawyers Association (EPLAW), Euroseeds, the Licensing Executives Society (LES), and the International Association of Breeders of Asexually Reproducing Fruit and Ornamental Varieties (CIOPORA).
Philippe de Jong has a broad practice, covering patent infringement, parallel imports and plant variety rights. One client reports: "I am always impressed by his thorough knowledge, which he manages to translate into applications that fit a company." - Chambers, 2021
"He understands how to handle the matters and has a very thorough understanding of how our business works." - Chambers Europe, 2020
Philippe de Jong "has a deep knowledge of the case law and is able to make things very clear to clients," according to interviewees. Sources also consider him to be "very intelligent and practical in applying the law." - Chambers Europe, 2019
Philippe de Jong receives praise from clients for being a "very pleasant and knowledgeable" lawyer who "always amazes" his clients.” – Chambers Europe, 2017
Winner of the Intellectual Property, Patents category for Belgium - ILO Client Choice Awards 2017
Philippe de Jong is described as "a very bright lawyer in a very specialist domain - someone to watch." – Chambers Europe, 2016
- LL.M. Intellectual Property (University College London)
- Erasmus Exchange Programme (Université de Lausanne)
- Lic. Juris (Universiteit Antwerpen)
Selection of publications
- "The Protection of Vines, Grapes and Wine under Plant Variety Rights Law, with a Particular Focus on the EU", in J. Chaisse, F. Dias Simões, D. Friedmann (Ed.)., Wine Law and Policy: From National Terroirs to a Global Market, Brill | Nijhoff, 2020.
- “Agricultural law in Belgium”, in Agricultural Law Global Guide, Thomson Reuters – Practical Law, 2020 (co-author)
- "Evoluties in het octrooirecht: overzicht van rechtspraak 2014-2018" ("Patent case law review 2014-2018"), TBH 2018, 747. (co-author).
- “From farm to fork: the regulatory status of non-GMO plant innovations under current EU law", BSLR 2018, 251. (co-author).
- "Vegetatieve vermeerdering van hybriden onder het kwekersrecht" ("Vegetative reproduction of hybrids under plant variety rights law"), BIE 2017 (Special edition – liber amicorum Paul van der Kooij), 14.
- "The EU regulatory framework for compliance with rules on access and benefit-sharing of genetic resources", BSLR 2016, 83. (co-author).
- "Belgium", in P. ENGLAND (ed.), Patent Transactions in the Life Sciences. A global guide to agreements in the sector, Global Law and Business, London, 2014. (co-author).
- "Evoluties in het octrooirecht: overzicht van rechtspraak 2011-2013" ("Patent case law review 2011-2013"), TBH 2014, 409. (co-author).
- "De toepassing van artikel 69 EOV na het Liposuctie-arrest: is het vet van de soep?" (“The application of Article 69 EPC after the Liposuction ruling: has the fat hit the fire?”), IRDI 2012, 241. (co-author).
- "Uitputting in het kwekersrecht" ("Exhaustion in plant variety rights law"), IRDI 2012, 95.