Kirian specialises in intellectual property and regulatory affairs, with a particular focus on food, pharmaceuticals and life sciences.
His IP work includes complex patent litigation, often involving cross-border issues, and support and advice regarding IP portfolio management.
His regulatory work spans the fields of clinical trials, launch and marketing strategies, pricing and reimbursement, tendering and lifecycle management.
Kirian obtained a Master in Law degree magna cum laude at the Universiteit Gent.
After three years of IP practice, Kirian acquired additional international experience through postgraduate studies (LL.M) at the University of California, Berkeley School of Law, where he also obtained the Law and Technology Certificate.
Kirian is also a member of the Boalt Hall Alumni Association, the Benelux Association for Trademark and Design Law, and the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property.
Additionally he regularly speaks at conferences and seminars.
“Kirian Claeyé is a notable IP associate in the firm.” - IP Stars, 2021
Named as “Rising Star” by IP Stars, 2019, 2020 & 2021
Named as “Rising Life Sciences Star” by Expert Guides, 2018, 2019 & 2020
- Master in Law (University of Ghent)
- M. (University of California)
- Law and Technology Certificate (University of California)
Selection of publications
- “Belgian Constitutional Court annuls new export prohibition for full-line wholesalers but new legislative proposals are already put forward”, ALTIUS Life & Health Blog, 25 October 2019 (with J. Swennen)
- “Incentives and public procurement in healthcare sector: be careful what you wish for!”, ILO Newsletter: Healthcare & Life Sciences, 23 October 2019 and ALTIUS Life & Health Blog, 14 October 2019 (with J. Gaul)
- “New rules to deal with unavailability of medicinal products in Belgium”, ALTIUS Life & Health Blog, 23 May 2019 (with J. Swennen)
- “Drastic times call for ex parte interim measures”, ILO Newsletter: Intellectual Property, 18 March 2019 and ALTIUS Life & Health Blog, 22 February 2019 (with L. Truyens)
- “Anti-tampering devices : fading boundaries of parallel trade”, ILO Newsletter: Healthcare & Life Sciences, 6 February 2019 and ALTIUS Life & Health Blog, 25 January 2019 (with L. Traest)
- “Evoluties in het octrooirecht – Overzicht van rechtspraak 2014-2018”, TBH-RDC 2018, 747-798 (with P. de Jong and C. Ronse)