Jonathan has been mainly assisting clients with general business law issues and corporate transactions, dealing with a variety of industry sectors, with a strong focus on restructurings and mergers and acquisitions.
In addition, he regularly advises clients on specific corporate law issues (e.g. director’s liability, conflicts of interest, capital fluctuations) and also assists clients with the drafting and reviewing of their commercial agreements.
He also closely follows up on digital innovation and new technologies and their impact on the legal landscape, with a strong focus on distributed ledgers and blockchain technology.
Jonathan has (co-)authored several legal publications regarding his area of expertise (for instance: several commentaries on the Belgian Companies and Associations Code, collaboration on the Lexfin “Company Law Handbook”, an article in which the legal and regulatory issues around distributed ledger technologies and blockchain networks have been discussed and an article that has dealt with the origins and legal rationale behind the mandatory plurality rules that applied to most Belgian companies prior to the entry into force of the new Belgian Companies and Associations Code, etc.).
Jonathan holds a Master of Laws (Universiteit Gent) and did an LL.M. in International Business Law (Universiteit Tilburg). In addition, he also obtained an advanced Master in corporate law (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven). He was also for several years affiliated with the Institute for European Law of the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, where he was active as a teaching fellow.
Selection of publications
- Blockchains and distributed ledgers: law as a factor in DLT structuring (2019), ALTIUS blog Digital Angle
- Lexfin Handboek Vennootschapsrecht, Larcier, 2017
- “With a little help from my friends: over de zin en onzin van meerhoofdigheidsregels”, DAOR 2017, nr. 121, 23-40
- “Commentaar bij artikel 5:1 WVV (en oud artikel 210 W.Venn.)”, in X, Vennootschappen en verenigingen. Artikelsgewijze commentaar met overzicht van rechtspraak en rechtsleer
- “Commentaar bij artikel 7:1 WVV (en oud artikel 437 W.Venn.)”, in X, Vennootschappen en verenigingen. Artikelsgewijze commentaar met overzicht van rechtspraak en rechtsleer
- “Only-onceprincipe: het principe van de unieke gegevensinzameling”, NjW 2016, nr. 336, 98-103