Joris specialises in intellectual property with his main focus being on the life sciences and innovative technologies sector. Joris has particular experience in contract drafting, contract reviewing and patent litigation. He also advises companies on the regulatory aspects of life sciences relating to the commercial launch of medicinal products, which includes launch and marketing strategies, parallel imports, promotional practices, pricing and reimbursement, distribution models, the laws and regulations on clinical trials etc.
Joris regularly lectures at conferences and seminars. He has also published articles in various legal journals relating to his area of expertise. He is also a member of the Licensing Executives Society (LES).
Joris holds a PhD degree from the Institute of Contract Law at the KU Leuven. His doctoral thesis focused on contracts between research organisations and companies and highlighted the interaction between contract law, intellectual property law and competition law. During his PhD, Joris was a visiting researcher at the Universities of Cambridge and Leiden.
Joris obtained his Masters of law at the KU Leuven. He studied at the Université de Strasbourg in the context of the EU Erasmus student exchange programme.
Selection of publications:
- (2018), Onderzoeksovereenkomsten, Brugge, die Keure, 2018, 748 p
- (2017), Handelshuur van korte duur, TBBR, 139-161 (with N. Van Damme)
- (2016), A.L. Verbeke, J. Swennen, T. Gladinez, K. Troch, N. Van Damme, Bijzondere overeenkomsten in kort bestek, Antwerpen-Cambridge, Intersentia, 2016, 329 p
- (2013) Optie- en licentieovereenkomsten in het intellectuele eigendomsrecht. In: Portugaels N., Tilleman B., Verbeke A. (Eds.), Knelpunten Opties, Chapt. 8. Antwerpen: Cambridge, Intersentia, 175-196
- (2019), “Belgian Constitutional Court annuls new export prohibition for full-line wholesalers but new legislative proposals are already put forward”, ALTIUS Life & Health Blog, (with K. Claeyé)
- (2019), “New research exemption under Belgian patent law?”, ALTIUS Life & Health Blog (with C. Ronse)
- (2019) “New rules to deal with unavailability of medicinal products in Belgium”, ALTIUS Life & Health Blog (with K. Claeyé)
- (2018), Express recognition and clarification of trade secret protection in Belgium, ILO Newsletter: Intellectual Property (with S. Lens)