Alexander specialises in domestic and international dispute resolution. He has extensive experience in complex disputes concerning a broad range of issues, including: commercial and contractual matters; liability and insurance; insolvency-related matters; and the enforcement of foreign judgments and arbitral awards. Alexander also has in-depth knowledge of distribution, agency, franchising and brokerage agreements in their respective international contexts.
Alexander provides pre-litigation counsel and conducts negotiations, mediation and litigation before the national courts and the Court of Justice of the European Union. He has been involved in numerous arbitration cases (ICC, CEPANI, NAI, SCC, WIPO and ad hoc), both representing the parties and as an arbitrator.
Alexander regularly publishes and lectures on his areas of practice.
Alexander is a member of the International Bar Association and CEPANI. He is also highly involved in the Belgian Franchise Federation and is a member of the Council of the Brussels Bar (Dutch language section) since 2019.
“Alexander Hansebout is not only an exceptional lawyer, but also an exceptional person. He has extensive knowledge in many areas and very extensive practical experience.” – Legal 500, 2021
Hansebout is "very efficient and has very good legal knowledge." – Chambers Europe, 2021
"Alexander is extremely smart, practical and strategic in negotiations." - Chambers Global, 2020
Clients appreciate that Alexander Hansebout "follows up cases methodically, making sure that he has the necessary information." – Chambers Europe, 2019
Sources laud his ability to "find the core question, analyse the dispute and get to the central part of the case without getting stuck in irrelevant details”. – Chambers Europe, 2018
Sources enthuse that "he did an exceptional job. I think they (ALTIUS) are outstanding in terms of strategic guidance.’” – Chambers Europe, 2017
- M.Sc. International Business (Aston Business School)
- International Exchange Programme (University Stellenbosch)
- Lic. Juris (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven)
- Cand. Juris (Université de Namur)
Selection of publications
- “Kunst en Arbitrage: de Court of arbitration for Art”, in Handboek Kunstrecht, Intersentia 2021
- “Het Belgische exequatur labyrint: op zoek naar de draad van Ariadne” (noot onder Rb. Brussel (Fr.) 9 december 2016), b-Arbitra, 2018, 73
- “Arbitration in Belgium” – Lexology Navigator 2021
- “Enkele hete hangijzers: de overgangsbepaling van de arbitragewet, het gewijsde van de uitspraak over de nietigheidsvordering en de openbare ordetoets bij exequatur”, b-Arbitra 2020/1, p. 184.