About the ALTIUS' Sports Law practice
Sport has become a global industry with ever increasing legal complexities and numerous challenges for all actors involved. A wide ranging experience and thorough understanding of the sports business is simply essential.
To respond to a growing demand, ALTIUS has developed a full fledged Sports Law practice that assists clients with highly specialised advice and legal services.
Our Sports Law practice stands out with its multi-disciplinary approach. The ALTIUS’ Sports Law practice consists entirely of expert lawyers who are each specialists on the various and complex legal issues, so familiar to sports cases. We focus our practice on:
- employment contracts
- sports body regulations (FIFA, UEFA, etc)
- Sponsorship agreements
- Betting rights
- Sport integrity & match fixing problems
- sports infrastructure
- discussion regarding potential (intellectual) property rights and personality rights (including image rights)
Our clients appreciate our experience in:
- advising players, players’ agents and clubs
- advising sponsors and owners
- advising national and international governing bodies and multinational companies on contentious and non-contentious matters in the sports industry, including CJEU litigation
- Regulatory developments at the level of the EU institutions (art. 165 TFEU) and the Council of Europe (EPAS agreement)
Coordinated by Partners Philippe Vlaemminck and Sven Demeulemeester, ALTIUS’ Sports Law practice has a broad experience in the negotiation of employment contracts, transfers and agency agreements, betting rights, the discussion regarding potential (intellectual) property rights, trade mark registrations and infringements, and negotiation of broadcast and publishing agreements. The dedicated lawyers in our teams have full understanding of the various aspects of the applicable regulations of the national and international sports federations and their specific arbitration procedures, coupled with a deep knowledge of the daily activities of the sports and entertainment industry, and the legal aspects under EU law and case law.
This cross practice structure enables us to devise fully integrated solutions for our clients in the increasingly challenging regulatory and commercial environment of the sports industry. An outstanding and innovative “one stop” service offering to sports clients is what we stand for, as we believe this to be the only way to establish a long term relationship with our clients
Finally, our exclusive and intense collaboration with the leading tax firm Tiberghien enables the team to always take into account the most tax-effective handling of the various sports issues involved.